Frog Meadow is located on the site of the Wheeler Farm, a 1700’s dairy farm and apple orchard that borders historic Newfane Village’s original mountaintop site atop Newfane Hill.
Our extensive perennial and annual gardens, varietal apple orchard, fruit and vegetable gardens are pollinated by our two active beehives, butterflies, hummingbirds and bats who also call Frog Meadow their home.
During spring, summer and fall, our 105,000 honeybees collect nectar and pollen from flowers in our gardens, our apple orchard, berry patches and in the surrounding meadows and woods. They travel up to 3 miles to forage and gather nectar and pollen! In the fall, we extract and bottle the honey without heating it, which results in the finest quality, and to seal in the sweetest flavor! We sell the honey at The Frog Meadow Store.
Frog Meadow Raw Honey is an absolute treasure chest of nature’s gifts: Unfiltered and uncooked to give you a rich, fulfilling taste with all the nutritious benefits!
- Did you know that raw honey promotes the growth of “good” bacteria in your intestinal tract?
- Raw honey is a great way to soothe your skin, utilizing natural antioxidants to help assist in blocking free radicals.
- It also helps with occasional sleeplessness and promotes a healthy heart by reducing homocysteine levels.
- So, enjoy a cup of your favorite warm beverage with an added teaspoon of raw honey – and feel good about it!
The unique qualities of nature’s perfect ingredients found in our raw honey will add texture, flavor, and an enjoyable taste to your food. Many people think that just because honey is “natural”, any kind of honey is healthful and fine to use. This is simply not true. Unfortunately, most of the honey eaten today has been heavily processed. Like most foods that have been chemically refined, many of the healthful benefits have been reduced or eliminated. Commercial honey is often treated with an excessive heating process that can destroy some of the critical natural enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. Processing of honey also filters out many vital phytonutrients found in raw honey, products that exist in nature in the hive. These products of the hive (which are not found in refined or processed honey) include health-promoting factors like:
- Protein- and enzyme-rich pollen, collected by bees in tiny carrying baskets on their back legs as they buzz from plant to plant.
- Propolis or “bee glue”, a sticky substance full of enzymes, formed when bees combine their own proteins with plant resins.
Both pollen and propolis contain super-abundant antioxidant compounds, which contribute to health-supportive properties. Raw, unprocessed honey contains little flecks of these nutrient-rich products, making it far superior to the clear filtered honey most of you are familiar with. Frog Meadow Raw Honey has many health-promoting qualities:
- It contains natural antioxidants, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, including calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, copper, chromium, manganese and selenium.
- Nutraceuticals are also found in honey. These important nutrients provide health benefits beyond those involved in normal metabolic activity to assist in neutralizing the free radical activity in your body, and are vitally important for overall function of your immune system.
Frog Meadow Raw Honey is a great alternative to processed and artificial sugars* – and you don’t have to sacrifice a rich, satisfying taste. It supports good health – and tastes wonderful too! *Note that raw honey should not be given to children less than 12 months old.